Wednesday 14 March 2012

My Predictions for the 2012 Budget

Very exciting times in the tax world as the budget approaches for yet another year. The Chancellor will unleash the budget one week from today (Wednesday 21st March) but what does he have in store for us? Today's blog post I will focus on 5 key topics I predict the Chancellor to bring up:

1. Pension

One can still obtain higher tax relief on pensions and the current 3 year carry back rule mean an individual can benefit from £50,000 contributions over a 3 year period and get relief on this. I predict Osborne to reduce the limits on pension contributions and potentially restrict the relief to 20%.

2. SEIS

As mentioned last month in my blog the new SEIS tax relief will be announced. The first draft of the legislation restricts the amount an investor can invest to £100,000 or £150,000 over 2 years but I have a sneaky feeling the government may relax these rules even further. The investor will be able to get an astonishing 50% tax relief/tax deduction on their investment. If you know of any start-up companies start investing!

3. Stamp Duty Land Tax Avoidance

I have been approached to get involved with these schemes over the past year but I have always turned down the opportunity because I believed it was only a matter of time before the government will crack down on them and that is exactly what I predict to be announced in the budget. HMRC will start issuing investigations into all these schemes.

4. Real Time Information

This is going to come in and Businesses need to be aware of it. "Real Time Information (RTI) is a priority Government programme aimed at improving the operation of Pay As You Earn (PAYE). It will make the system better for individuals and easier for employers and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) to operate. It also supports the introduction of Universal Credits." HMRC. They want every form submitted online on a monthly basis to do with your employees and PAYE operation. More will be announced in the budget

5. Child Benefit Allowance

I believe the original plan to stop child benefit allowance for households that have to total income of just over £40,000 is too tight and has already caused some unrest. I predict there will be a restriction on child benefit allowance but they might increase the total household income to nearer £60,000.

I am excited for this budget and as stated I am interested to hear more of the 50% tax reliefs and other tax incentives the government might have for us.

I will be analysing the budget next week on my blog

Thank you for reading

Mitch the Tax Man

No comments:

Post a Comment